beniowa

The Deckled Edge

I was put on this earth to read a certain number of books. I am now so far behind I will never die.

When Gravity Fails - George Alec Effinger The Audran Sequence seemed so promising with an interesting world in which many nation-states have fractured and the story is set in a city somewhere in Arabia. However, much of it fell flat for me.

Part of the problem is that the series bills itself as cyberpunk noir, while it never really falls into either category. The only cyberpunk is basically technology modules that can implanted into a wired brain to grant specialized information or change your entire personality. The noir is supposedly inspired by detective stories, but is truly only about a poor, mixed-race man who rises to power and influence.

The biggest problem though is that the whole trilogy feels extremely convenient. The main character's successes, failures, friendships, etc all plays out exactly as the author wants rather than it feels like it should be. Morality questions are raised, but are avoided instead of answered. Characters and plot act at the author's whim so the story never feels right. Frankly, the whole thing is self-indulgent.

I'm giving this book (and series) two and a half stars, because despite the flaws, the world-building and writing in and of themselves weren't too bad and I think others might enjoy it more than I did. Those stars still feel generous though.