beniowa

The Deckled Edge

I was put on this earth to read a certain number of books. I am now so far behind I will never die.

Infidel - Kameron Hurley Probably closer to a 9 than a full ten, nevertheless Infidel is an excellent sequel to God's War in which Nyx and some other old characters are back along with a few new ones in this bug-and-blood filled second book. Politics and war take center stage as the Bel Dames stage a coup against the Nasheenian monarchy. Or do they? Better watch out because it's hard to tell who's a friend and who's an enemy with traitors and manipulators popping out of the bug-secreted. We start to get a wider sense of the scope and effect of the centuries-long war between Chenja and Nasheen with new players and countries playing their own angles.

On the downside, the plot was a little hard to follow sometimes. And I could have wished for a little more political debate, but these are really minor complaints. Hurley is a great new voice in speculative fiction and I can't wait for her next book.